I loved Vienna. It was such a beautiful city and there were so many incredible things to see. This was the first city on the trip that was almost exclusively music related. I wish we could have stayed there for a few more days, but we had a a great time with the 4 days we had.
Our first stop in Austria. It was August and the leaves were already starting to change!
The Vienna Cemetery was very moving. I was touched to visit the grave of Brahms, Beethoven, and more.
We traveled just outside the city to visit one of the Esterhazy palaces. This was the concert hall where Haydn premiered many of his string quartets. We enjoyed a Haydn quartet performance in the same hall.
The Hofburg palace within the Ringstrasse in downtown Vienna. They had an incredible music museum within the palace.
Inside the Hofburg
I love Clara Schumann. She's one of my favorite people in all of music history. It said not to touch anything, but I may have touched her piano. :)
I would love this music stand for quartet rehearsals!
I didn't know Dr. Seuss was around during the 18th Century. . .
My faithful traveling companion
We also visited Schonbrunn Palace, the summer residence of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The interior was really interesting, but the gardens were breathtaking.
At the top of the gardens looking down at the palace.
We spent a bit of time at Beethoven's apartment
Beethoven's death mask standing at his actual hieght
Do you think he has any mail?
It was hard to get a good shot of St. Stephen's Cathedral because it is so tall and surrounded by other buildings, but I kind of liked this shot.
I'm so glad my buddy got to come with me!
Another palace (Belvedere) converted into an art museum.
We enjoyed a fun concert at the Musikverein, where the Vienna Philharmonic performs.
I honestly have no idea where these next two pictures were taken. Another palace? Anyway, the grounds are pretty!
Next up, Salzburg!! (the hills are alive. . .)

3 comments:
I'm very jealous!!! It looks like toons of fun! I guess I pictured Beethoven to be taller, if the mask was at his correct height. I guess with the crazy hair it would've put him at like 6 ft!
Those headstones were AWESOME! I wonder if BillionGraves has photos of those.
And Beethoven was pretty short, huh?
I can't believe all the sights you were able to see! I am very jealous as well! Umm... What's a death mask?
Post a Comment