Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Salzburg

I know you're all getting sick of these, but I'm almost finished!

Salzburg was such a nice change of scenery. It was a beautifully picturesque town that straddles a mountain (you literally have to walk under the mountain to get from the residential side to the commercial side!).

Making the trek through the mountain from our hotel.




Mozart's childhood house


We went to the Salzburg salt mines. It was hilarious! You had to dress in special clothes and ride the rails down to the mines. Definitely a tourist spot but we got a kick out of it.





In the mines: German/Austrian border!

The mines were up in the beautiful mountains above Salzburg. The scenery was amazing.



There was a little Nordic village recreated near the salt mines. 



Mom, this chicken coop is just for you!

Looking down at Salzburg



Downtown Salzburg: home of The Sound of Music!

 
The famous "Do Re Mi stairs"






More Salzburg scenery



A monastery built into the side of the mountain

 We found a great cemetery. Mom, these are for you!









We rode a funicular train to the castle overlooking the city.








 


I have no words. . .


There were hundreds of locks with couples' names on them. This one cracked me up!

 

Frankfurters- our favorite German meal!





Tyler and I decided that we're going to retire to Salzburg when we get older. :)


3 comments:

Abby said...

It looks like Mom needs to go to Salzburg!

mitchowl said...

That's just what I was thinking. I LOVE that place! Maybe I'll retire there.

The Denning Family said...

Hey Lisa! You guys covered some major ground on that trip. It looks beautiful, especially the sunset pictures. Gorgeous!