Friday, February 20, 2009

Whatever doesn't kill ya . . .

I should probably be posting more often, but I don't 50,000 pictures of cute little munchkins running around the house doing cute, funny things. I could post lots of pictures of Tyler...

My life has been an endless cycle lately. Teach, do homework, teach, go to class, teach, do homework. . . you get the idea. This has been my busiest semester as far as teaching and homework goes. My studio is filled to the brim, and we're talking about starting a waiting list. It's wonderful, but I definitely look forward to the weekends (although I do primary music on Sundays, so I never really get a break!). I'm also taking four doctoral classes, which is twice as many as I've ever taken before. Three classes is considered full time for my program. So I'm a full time student and a full time teacher. I know my mother is rolling her eyes and shaking her head as she's reading this, but I'm convinced that this will all be worth it at the end of next April when I finish all of my coursework two semesters earlier.

Here are my four classes (not that this will really interest anyone):

Practicum- This is practical experience course. I'm serving on the BYU-Idaho music department curriculum council for this. I attend the meeting once a week and do all the busy work they tell me to do. Trust me, it is plenty of busy work.

Quantitative Research- Part 2 of the research class I took last semester. It involves developing a mini-dissertation of sorts with a research problem, literature review, and research design. The final project will be the first three chapters of a hypothetical dissertation. I'm focusing mine on developing grading rubrics to improve the consistency and reliability of music juries for string majors.

Contemporary Issues- Basically we all get together and talk about what is wrong with universities today and try to come up with a solution. Oh yeah, and write plenty of papers.

Equity and Ethics- I'm doing this one independent study as well. I'll be doing a comprehensive research project on the unique challenges women faculty members have at a private religious university.

Okay, enough with the boring stuff. Here are a few other updates.

For Valentines Day, Tyler got me a beautiful bouquet of my favorite flowers, daisies. He also got a cute vase with Daisies painted on it. We made chocolate covered strawberries to go with our dinner that night.









Tyler and I have also been doing a few fun things. On Thursday nights Tyler has been playing basketball with the Elders Quorum, which is fun to watch.






For Family Home Evening last Monday we made bread using our Kitchen Aid wheat grinder. It was delicious!






Congratulations, you made it to the end of the eternal post. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You are so busy! I imagine the next picture will be of you tied down in some padded room if you put too much pressure on yourself to get it ALL done (including this blog). It's still fun to know how you're doing though--just hope you don't make yourself sick, crazy, or whatever in the process.
Good luck with it all!
And tell the primary kids hi for us.

Harper said...

You are AMAZING, Lisa! Seriously, your talents are so many, no wonder you're so busy!

Awesome job on the bread! And good luck with everything! :)