Thursday, February 26, 2009

Not good for a Rexburg resident

I'm usually not one to go to the doctor for anything. I'm always worried that they'll tell me that it's all in my head. I must get this from my mom. Anyway, I've had some concerns that I finally decided to have checked out, thanks to the encouragement of my mom and sister (who's a nurse).

I've always had cold hands and feet, but I never really thought that was a big deal. I've also had pretty low blood pressure, and in fact have passed out in some pretty embarrassing places (the post office and the temple). A few weeks ago, though, my feet started tingling and feeling numb. Then last week a few of my toes turned red with spots (broken blood vessels). Then a few days ago I was cleaning up from dinner and my whole hand turned yellow. There was no blood in it, and it tingled for about 10 minutes. Those were enough red flags to motivate me to actually visit someone.

My doctor today was really helpful, and didn't make me feel like it was all in my head. After doing a few tests, he's pretty sure that I have Raynaud's Disease. The blood vessels in my extremities have a hypersensitivity to cold, and the overconstrict, keeping all blood from going in or out.

Basically, I'm allergic to cold.

They are running some blood tests to rule out other, bigger problems, but if this is the problem I'll have to maybe take some blood pressure medication to keep my vessels from overconstricting, and I'll need to make sure my hands and feet stay warm.

And I live in Rexburg. . .

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes!
Maybe you should learn to knit and then make yourself some wool yarn mittens and socks! Good luck.

Criscell said...

Oh no! Not a good thing to have in the frozen land of Rexburg!

Mindy said...

Crazy. Hope it's nothing more serious.

mitchowl said...

You'll just have to move to Oregon with us when we go.

I'm glad you went to the doc and got an answer. Now you can deal with it.

Andrea said...

I've heard hunters put cayenne pepper in their socks (it doesn't hurt) to help keep them warm. I guess it increases circulation. It's worth a try. Good luck.

The Denning Family said...

Oh my goodness! Maybe I have that too. Remember how I break out in hives when I'm in the cold? And have even passed out?! I went to the doctor for it once, but they didn't know anything. I always just say I'm allergic to the cold, but haven't ever really had any scientific backing!!

Anonymous said...

Being in the know is GREAT. You will soon know how to deal with it. Can you imagine being allergic to tomatoes, though. I mean no mexican. How horrible is that living in TX????