Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Branching Out

Last weekend Tyler and I were down in Snowflake and Show Low, Arizona performing in a concert. Most of you are immediately picturing some kind of classical concert, and normally you would be right. This time, however, I decided to branch out a bit from my classical roots. Some of you may know that Tyler's family occasionally performs in authentic cowboy western concerts. Hi dad sings and plays the guitar, as does Tyler, and his brother and sister dance. This was my first time performing with them, and I must admit that I felt way out of my element, but I had a great time. We did two concerts, and both of them went fairly well. Tyler and I did three pieces (tunes? numbers? ditties? I don't even know what they're called): Jerusalem Ridge, a faster fiddling tune, Ashokan Farewell, and The Orange Blossom Special. I'm still definitely a classical music nerd, but it was kind of fun to play music that the audience immediately identified with.


Me and TeAnna backstage

Me and Tyler about five seconds before Tyler ran onstage

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I love the fiddle just as much as I love the violin, haha!

mitchowl said...

Where's your cowgirl hat? You need to get some authentic cowgirl duds, fiddler.

emiflute said...

Whoa! COme again? Lisa performing in a western show?!? and Where!?!? Arizona? I am seriously out of the loop. Looks like you had fun. I'm glad you did that with your hubby and his family. What a great bonding experience! So uhh... do we get to see this sometime soon?