Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Have Problems

Most people are afraid of somewhat rational things like snakes, rats, strangers, dark alleys, things like that. Some people have more irrational fears like closets, insects, or the dark in general. I think my fear is a little beyond irrational.

I have a severe aversion to band-aids. I HATE them! Used band-aids are by far the worst, but even new ones are pretty horrible. I usually can't even bring myself to look at them, let alone touch them. I can't explain why. They are just horrible. It might come from my childhood days at the swimming pool when I would see a used band-aid floating in the water (I am gagging as I type this). Whenever I see a child with a band-aid on their clothes, "just because", I can't look at the child anymore.

Stickers are just as bad. I know, I'm messed up. I think it's because stickers are like band-aids masquerading as cute little rewards or something. The worst part about high school was the week of study body elections. Everywhere you went people were trying to plaster you with stickers reminding you to vote! Are they crazy! I spent the whole day avoiding people in the halls and removing the rogue sticker that somehow found me.

My family and friends think I'm crazy. They're right. I can't even bring myself to put a picture of stickers or band-aids on this blog. My poor children are doomed. When we go to Broulims (the grocery store), what's going to happen when the cashier offers my kids a sticker? I'm going to have to watch for that one.

Do they have therapy for this kind of thing???

5 comments:

mitchowl said...

Yes! They DO have therapy for it, but you won't like it. It's called aversion therapy. And what you would have to do is plaster yourself with bandaids and stickers, wherever you can find a space, and then ope up a few more, just for the fun of it. Surround yourself in what you're afraid of until it doesn't bother you anymore.

Really, it works!

Lisa said...

Ew, I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Harper said...

I, too, gagged when you described seeing band-aids floating in swimming pools.

Ick ... I honestly just shuddered. I have a similar aversion to strands of wet hair on sinks in public bathrooms. Nar-nar!

Harper said...

P.S. I tagged you on my blog!

Smyth Family said...

That was very funny to read. I remember you always getting so grossed out by bandaids. I could never really understandt that fear.