Every once in a while I am reminded that I am a loud person. I don't think I'm particularly outspoken, but when I do talk, it is usually plenty loud. Yesterday morning I was at the gym when I saw someone from my department. I started talking to him, and when he responded to me I noticed that his voice was significantly softer than mine. It seems like most of my family is pretty loud, and I have a feeling it has something to do with our childhood. My dad has significant hearing loss, so we always have to speak louder when he's in the room. This is especially true if we are talking to him on the phone. I guess we all just got into the habit of being loud, and now we are always like that. When I was a sophomore in college I was on the phone when my roommate was in the room. She told me that she'd never heard anyone talk so loud on the phone. I don't try to be loud, it just happens. It works well for primary and teaching, however. I teaching a class with 70 students, and I never have to worry about them hearing what I say. I've also gotten into the habit of shouting out comments while the music is playing during class. It's also interesting bringing people over to my parent's house for the first time. The sheer volume level can be a little surprising until you get used to it, then hopefully you learn to relax and join in the fun.
I just don't think any of us would do well working in a library.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That's funny. My family is pretty loud too, but I can't figure out why.
WHAT??? WE'RE LOUD????
YOU'RE CRAZY. EVERYBODY ELSE IS JUST TOO SOFT!
That's really interesting. I don't think I've ever been told I'm too loud. Usually, I'm the one being told to speak up! :)
Post a Comment