Two weeks ago my week was full of recitals. On Tuesday we had our second studio recital. I have one at the end of each semester, because it's so helpful for the kids to have something to look forward to. We could schedule a room on campus because school is still going on, so we settled this time for the Relief Society room at my church. It didn't have the best piano and the acoustics were nonexistent, but it fit all of the families, so it worked. Here are a few pictures (thanks to Abby!) from the event.
On Friday I performed in a faculty recital with Mitch McKay and Robert Tueller. I played the Franck Sonata, which is crazy hard. I've always wanted to learn it, and now that I've performed it once I should be able to do a better job next time. Robert and Mitch played the Shostakovich Sonata, and we all played the Turina Piano Quartet with a violinist.
We like to do a little teaching before each piece since we don't do program notes for faculty recitals. Here I am blabbing away.
And for my last music story of the day. . .
This weekend I had two gigs in Jackson. I love playing there because the pay is WAY more than here. Friday night was a wedding in a church, but last night we did a wedding and reception outside. People love to get married on ranches in Jackson because they get a great view of the Tetons. That works fine if the weather is cooperative, but how often does that happen? It was pretty chilly and windy when we started playing the prelude music. By the time the ceremony started, we could see our breath. A few minutes later, little snowflakes were falling to the ground! Definitely a first for me. I couldn't feel my fingers, so I kept almost dropping my bow. Luckily the reception was in a heated tent, so I think we all managed to avoid getting frostbite.

4 comments:
Wish we would have known about your concert or recital. Sounds like a lot of fun. I would have liked to have seen you play something crazy-hard. Especially since you make it look so easy. :)
LOVE the shoe shots. Abby is amazing.
Oh, and your recital AND concert were great.
What great pieces! I miss all the Y-daho folk. You're amazing!
How cute that you're teaching little kids. I really admire your musical abilties. I hope I can do that too someday.
Post a Comment