I love teaching at BYU-Idaho. There are so many benefits to having that job. The students are great, the faculty are great, we get to have prayers in class, they have a great fitness center, the list goes on and on! Being a young teacher, however, has given me some interesting and sometimes frustrating experiences.
The hardest part of my age was definitely the first semester. The younger students were all great, but there were still quite a few students who were there when I was an undergraduate student at BYU-Idaho. I think it was hard for them to see me in an authority-type position. It was especially hard for a few students who were in the Music History class I taught, students who were my age or older (unfortunately, some of them are still there). After that first semester, though, I think the students all got used to me.
Outside of the classroom, however, I still get the effects of my age all over campus. Last semester I went up to the Testing Center to collect some tests that had closed. The lady who usually works there knows me, but that day there was someone else there. When I asked for the tests, she looked at me very suspiciously. She started to hand me the tests, then stopped and asked to see my Faculty ID card. Of course I didn't have it with me, because I've never needed it there before, so I had to walk clear back to my office to get it! When I handed it to her, she apologized for making me go get it and said, "You just don't look old enough to be teaching college!" Apparently college teachers have to all be nearing retirement age.
I also get this all the time at the media center when I get DVD's for classes. They tell me "You need a teacher's permission to check these out." Sheesh. I was at the locker room getting gym clothes when I saw a girl working there studying for a music class. I asked her who her teacher was, she told me, and I said, "I teach that class, too. It's so much fun." The shocked look on her face was not hidden very well. Tyler and I also go to BYU-Idaho formal dances, and we usually blend in pretty well until one of my students sees us and makes a comment at how weird it is to see their teacher there.
I'm used to it now, so it's mostly just amusing. Hopefully in ten years I'm still being mistaken for a student!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
He. He. I can relate just a little. Me being short and young has not helped when I've been in teaching situations. Good luck with that. I wish I could say something to help, but I can't. As I'm sure you're aware, it's something you'll just have to wait out. <:)
I still think you should go in and sit with the students on the first day of class. Just chat with them. Then get up and teach. We had a professor do that and a girl asked him if he knew anything about the teacher, if he was any good, that kind of thing. He replied that he didn't know if the teacher was any good or not! Then he got up to teach and that poor girl about haed a heart attack. See, it would be fun!
lisa! i found you on stacy's blog and wanted to say hello! so great to see that you're so happy. congrats on the wedding, seems like ya'll are loving life!
Post a Comment