Thursday, September 30, 2010

Busy Times

Just when we thought our lives couldn't get any crazier, it has. We are still really enjoying life, but it is keeping us on our toes!

At the beginning of July, the chairman of the music department was named dean of the College of Performing and Visual Arts. A few weeks later, the full-time viola professor of the department was named department chair. This meant that he would be far too busy with his administrative responsibilities to teach any viola students, masterclass, or any other viola related commitments. So it is that I am now teaching the entire viola studio, running masterclass, handling recruiting, and everything else! I'm still just adjunct, but my responsibilities have greatly increased. It has been a bit overwhelming filling Brother Call's shoes. He has been very influential in my career, and he is such a great teacher. The semester is going very well, and the students are fantastic. I definitely feel more prepared to teach the college students than I did when I first came back to Rexburg.

In September I also took my doctoral comprehensive exams. It was a 16 hour test lasting 2 days, and it was horrible. Tyler was so supportive and encouraging during the last part of the summer as I was studying like a madwomen. I ended up typing about 60 pages for the test, and I still don't know if I passed. Fingers crossed!

Tyler has now taking up the studying. He is preparing to take his GMAT sometime in the next few months. He will be pursuing his MBA starting next year, so we'll continue to have students in our house for a while yet.

We're still finding time to have a bit of fun. Last weekend we went down to Salt Lake for a great weekend of concerts. Friday night was Brad Paisley, and Saturday was Hilary Hahn! We are trying to keep balance in our lives, and we know we are very blessed.

5 comments:

The Denning Family said...

Wowee Lisa! Sounds like some amazing developments are taking place! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. Good luck with everything and I know you are very capable to do all you are doing!!

Unknown said...

Wow is all I have to say. You two are completely amazing!

emiflute said...

Hey there! It's so nice to hear of how your life is going. It sounds so hectic, yet I know you will succeed. We miss you all so much. I can't say that enough. Take care!!

Kierst said...

Wow! Sounds like you're busy! I'm sure you passed the test, but I know the feeling. I mean, Taylor knows the feeling. Have you done your oral exams? What are you writing your dissertation about?

Marie said...

Congratulations on everything! Wish I could have met up with you when you were down here last weekend. :)