Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Little Rant

Does anyone else feel like the public classical music programs on the radio play way to much Baroque music? I like it just fine, but 75% of what they play is Baroque! What about Mozart symphonies? Strauss or Brahms orchestral? Some Romantic concertos? Bartok? Shostakovich? Come on people!!

(End of nerdy rant.)

I promise I'll post something of substance in the next few days. Life has been a bit busy.

6 comments:

mitchowl said...

People like Baroque, and if it ain't Baroque, why fix it?



HA HA HA HA. I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SAY THAT.
Seriously, though, I hadn't noticed. I hardly know the difference between Baroque and Romantic.

Marie said...

I COMPLETELY agree!! Maybe it's partially because of my original dislike for Baroque music (which I'm overcoming because of Bro. Tueller, and my husband) but there's 3 more centuries out there!

Abby said...

Yes, I agree. I tend to like Romantic pieces more than baroque, but a little Mozart should be included too! But I was listening to the Russian composer program they were playing today, that was nice!

Anonymous said...

Baroque music fits the time slots. Radio stations can't dedicate 30+ minutes just to get through the first movement of a Brahms symphony...and radio broadcast is kind of forced into a narrow dynamic range (this is one of the reasons pop music has such a narrow range), so Romantic music would simply get lost over the airwaves.

It is funny that Marie says that there are three more centuries (first of all there are more...but I won't be that guy), because that was the way I always felt playing in orchestras...all they ever played was Romantic music. To be honest, saying a lot of positive things about most Romantic music is one of the most difficult parts of my job :)

Halsey said...

Yes, well, I think Taylor's right. I wouldn't say they exclusively play Baroque music. But it definitely gets a pretty high percentage of classical music's airtime. With some effort they (the mysterious radio controllers) could add a little more diversity.

tyler, terrah, miles and gavin said...

I totally agree with you. A lot of times when I turn the radio to a classical / public station, it's harpsichords and Medieval sounds. I don't mind it, but I'm with you: give us some good Mozart!