Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Projects (Part One)

My dissertation draft is in to my advisor, so I have a few weeks to relax now that the semester is over. I've been loving spending time outside in my vegetable and flower gardens. This year's weather has been particularly ideal for growing vegetables, as long as we keep everything well watered. I'm definitely not a pro, but we do have good soil and a nice sheltered yard, so we are doing pretty well this year.


Front flower garden. I love how the color combination turned out this year. A little of everything.






We should have enough onions to last us through the winter again.


We have three summer squash plants are a few days away from having ripe squash. They are just starting to get big.


Our lettuce is a little out of control I could have sworn I planted it in a straight line. . .



We have quite the bean crop. I've never seen leaves this big (bigger than my hand), and I'll be picking beans Monday or Tuesday.




Our amazon tomato plants. They are almost up to my shoulders, and are finally producing fruit. Salsa anyone?

We also have a strawberry patch, plum tree, peas, peppers, and cucumbers. I better start stocking up on canning jars!

3 comments:

The Denning Family said...

You're a green thumb!! Your gardens are beautiful!

mitchowl said...

You need to lay your rock hammer next to the plants for scale. At least that's how the geology professors show scale in their photos.

emiflute said...

This is so cool! I will coming to you for advice when we finally start doing a garden! Enjoy the fruits of your labors!