Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dissertation Fun

That sounds like an oxymoron, right? Usually it is, but I had some fun with it a few weeks ago when I was at the data gathering phase. Since I developed a new questionnaire, I had to conduct a pilot test with experts in the field to make sure everything was as it should be. I tried to conduct the test, but my survey tool was not working. I switched to a different software, but had to make sure the questionnaires would actually work before wasting the pilot testers' time again, so I had my family help me out.

I made all of them take all three questionnaires (about 30 questions total) just to make sure it would work. I made the mistake of telling them they could answer the questions however they wanted, since it wouldn't be part of the survey. When I got the responses back, most of them made me laugh out loud. Some of them told me random stories, some wrote haikus, some just gave me sarcastic responses. It was very entertaining.

I thought I would share a few of the gems:

Asking about their performance experience

- If I had a dodgeball team, I would name it.....

- My distinguished solo career consists of forgetting my piano solo and leaving the piano in disgrace. My ensemble performances happen on every birthday. I'm the only one singing on key, just not the same key as everyone else.

- I use them to intimidate people.

- I like Burns.


Asking about performing as a faculty member:

- We are better than you....

- I sing with joy when I get my office to myself.

- They make me feel good about myself.

- Lisa owes me a pizza.


Advantages of performing:

- And we know it!!!!

- I'm definitely more focused on work when I don't have to listen to jibber-jabbering from the other side of the office

- Show students how lack of practice can make you look bad.

- I don't even know.


Disadvantages:

- Just kidding, that is from a movie.

- People hear me singing with joy and bring me more work to shut me up.

- They can see your bald spot when looking down at you.

- How long is this thing?


Other good ones:

- Sometimes you break a string, sometimes you dont.

- I need to repaint my toenails.

- I like turtles.

- Our house is a mess.


The list goes on and on. I have a strange family, but they sure know how to make me smile!

1 comment:

mitchowl said...

I want to hear one of the haikus.
Always glad to entertain.