Sunday, March 4, 2012

Whatever doesn't kill us. . .

I've been thinking about trials lately, and how they are usually for our benefit. On Friday I was talking to my mom about some of the things that I've gone through in the last few years. They haven't been fun, but I know I am a better person because of them. My mom also commented that I am a much better musician now than I was before all of this. I play more musically, with more heart. It is interesting that life experiences can affect my playing so much. It made me think of my days as an undergraduate music major. I was working on a Brahms Sonata. I was playing everything on the page, but there was something missing. My teacher stopped me and said, "You haven't lived life enough to play Brahms." I didn't really get it then, but I get it now. Brahms has heart and soul. There is a depth to his music that a 20 year old girl who has lived in Rexburg her whole life can't possibly understand. When I play now, I play with all of the joy, heartache, frustration, and experience that comes with life.

I taught a lesson yesterday to a college student who just got dumped by his fiancee. They were supposed to get married next month. I've been worried about him, hoping that he would be able to move on with his life. When he played for me yesterday, though, I was blown away. It was the most beautiful playing I had ever heard from him. There was heart. It was very moving. I realized that he was able to use this experience to make him a better musician, and a better person.

I hope we can all recognize the blessings that come from difficult experiences, no matter how large or small they may be.

6 comments:

mitchowl said...

Good post. And so true. It was a good discussion we had. Those hard lessons sometime do help us in ways we didn't anticipate.

Stacey said...

I completely agree! Thank you for your post. I went through a few very challenging things as I prepared to graduate with my masters, and my graduate recital was the most emotional I had ever played. My entire family was in tears by the end of it. Our mind, body and spirit are all connected in ways we don't always understand! Hope all is well with you and your family!

Kierst said...

I remember when I got home from my mission and went in to Bro Ashton to audition for the chamber orchestra. When he told me that I didn't need to audition because he knew how I played, I explained that I was quite rusty after a year and a half. He said not to worry and that it would come back. About a month later he stopped me in my lesson and said, "See? I told you!" Not only had I gotten it back, I was much better because of the life experiences I had had. I wonder how good I would be now if I actually played!

Nancy said...

Those life lessons are pretty sneaky, aren't they?

Halsey said...

Does that mean we can actually get better by living life crazily and not practicing? :) Just kidding. Thanks for the good post.

Nancy said...

I know my comment has NOTHING to do with this post, but I have to say what I have been thinking for a very long time.

The picture of you and Tyler at the top of this page is probably one of the most favorite pictures I have seen in a very long time.

Every time I come to visit The McNiven Clan, I smile. I LOVE that picture.

Just sayin'.