Thursday, March 22, 2012
The long, long, LONG road
Working on my dissertation feels like that 135 mile marathon in Death Valley where you have to have a full medical team for every runner. If I had any advice to give to someone starting in on a dissertation (besides DON'T DO IT!), I would tell them to plan on it taking 5 times as long as you think it will. I had no idea I would have to rely on other people's schedule so much. I send a draft to my advisor, and two months later I get some feedback. It is beyond frustrating, but at least I'm still (slowly) moving forward. I finally have my proposal scheduled. I know, a proposal sounds like the very beginning of the dissertation, but it most definitely is not! That proposal is 75 pages of my blood, sweat and tears. It is also the first three chapters of the final dissertation. Anyway, my proposal is scheduled for Friday, April 13th. Friday the 13th! Fortunately, 13 is my lucky number. Besides, I took my comprehensive exams on September 11th and aced them, so bring it on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sounds daunting! I am sure you will do great and come out with flying colors! You are a very capable person. Best of luck!!
Bring it on. You'll ace it all.
Ah - but you have not only approached the mountain but are set on the trail upward! Good work. A daunting task indeed....sheesh....75 to begin with. Good work Lisa.
Lisa, you are incredible! I totally admire your talents, determination and stamina.
I'll wish you 'best of luck' in your proposal presentation, but I know you'll ace everything!
You're an inspiration!
Post a Comment