Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Enduring Hardships

My heart has been touched many times recently by the hardships people are facing. It is incredible how many people are struggling with financial, emotional, spiritual, or physical challenges (or a combination of several). As I work with my students on campus, I find myself having to spend more and more time acting as a counselor to lift their spirits and encourage them to keep persevering through the challenges of school.

Life is hard. I don't think anyone would argue that fact. Sometimes we each get so buried in our own challenges that we have a hard time seeing the heartache that others are going through. I hope we can all take a bit more time to lift one anothers' burdens, and at the same time, try to recognize the blessings that are hidden amidst the trials (I often struggle with this).

I came across an excerpt of Elder Quentin L. Cook's General Conference address from October of 2008, and I thought it was applicable:

The incident I just recounted, while a difficult travel situation, was brief, and there were no lasting consequences. However, many of the trials and hardships we encounter in life are severe and appear to have lasting consequences. Each of us will experience some of these during the vicissitudes of life. Many listening to this conference are experiencing situations of a most serious nature at this very moment.


We resonate with the Prophet Joseph’s petition after he had been falsely accused and imprisoned in Liberty Jail for months: “O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?”

The Lord’s answer is reassuring:

“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high.”




I hope we can remember that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, even when that light seems very, very far away.

2 comments:

The Denning Family said...

I was given a link to an inspirational song by Hilary Weekes called Beautiful Heartbreak--it can be found on youtube. Anyway, it made me cry and it is exactly what you wrote about. Life is tough and unfortunately nobody wears a sign around their necks everywhere they go that shows exactly what they are experiencing. If you have a couple minutes, listen to the song...its a good one. Maybe those you are helping might like it too.

emiflute said...

Thank you, Lisa for posting these wonderful, comforting thoughts. You have definitely been a strength for me in recent weeks, so thank you for that as well. And I will remember to try to lift the burdens of those around me as well. What a great reminder.