Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Me and My Space Boots

A few weeks ago I decided to have surgery on both of my feet to fix a problem that has been bothering me for over ten years. It was nothing serious, but it did involve some sawing of the bones and screwing them back in the right place. I scheduled it for December 22nd, knowing that I would have two solid weeks off from teaching, which I thought should give me sufficient time to recover before going back to work. The surgery went pretty well, but I’ve been amazed at how much it has knocked the wind out of me! I kept falling asleep whenever I sat down, including the dinner table. The worst part has definitely been the boots. The doctor told me I would have to wear some surgical boots for a while. I was thinking it would be for about a week. I didn’t want anyone to know about it, so I figured I would be done with them by the time school starts again. In reality, I have to wear them for six weeks! They feel like wearing ski boots, and they are terribly awkward. I’m even clumsier than I was before, and they are so uncomfortable. I can’t walk without them at all, or the healing bones might break.

It’s been just over a week now, and I’m still working on making my peace with the space boots. I know I look like Frankenstein, and I hate that I can’t go to the gym, but in a month or so I’ll be very happy to have my feet fixed. I can’t say, however, that I’m looking forward to wearing them when I have to go teaching on campus starting next week!

3 comments:

mitchowl said...

Repeat after me,
"pretty shoes, summer sandals, pretty shoes, summer sandals"
It should be your mantra until you skip into class wearing your cute little slip-ons.

Lacey said...

Don't feel bad, you don't look funny at all. Conner would love to wear those. How nice to have your feet fixed though, I didn't even know you had a problem with them.

Nancy said...

I love the pic of you and Tyler. Big time. Not so much of the surgical boot.....